I was Socrates that said, “The unexamined life is not worth living for a human being.” [source]
I guess he was right. Up until recently I’ve been just sleepwalking through life, going where the wind blew me and expecting the worst. My belief was, “Things are going to turn out shitty and I’m going to die eventually anyway. Why bother trying?”
Sounds like a lot of fun, right? Well not really. Life kind of sucked to tell you the truth. I did everything I possibly could to distract myself from life, essentially killing time until I keeled over from some horrible disease, a heart attack or sheer boredom.
I was playing online games obsessively and became completely lost. One day the thought came to me, “There has to be more than this. I can’t live this way anymore.”
Some of the things I am doing differently:
- I canceled my gaming accounts, uninstalled my games and had a long hard look at my life.
- I began meditating, doing affirmations and writing every day.
- I began writing and sharing a gratitude list online, via twitter and facebook, every night before bed.
- I blog about gratitude at defrig.com, also daily.
- I continually look for things to be grateful for in every situation.
- I am trying to do the ‘next right thing’ – doing what’s in front of me.
- I take better care of myself (physically, mentally and spiritually).
- I have cleaned out my space and gotten rid of a lot of extra stuff by recycling, trashing or donation.
- I am remembering that the Universe is a friendly place.
- I am practicing positive thinking.
- I am trying to be helpful to someone every day – being of service.
- I am doing something creative everyday and have a ton of new projects I am working on.
- I do what I can to indulge in only happy thoughts – I don’t read a lot of news or gossip.
- I am being more social and making new friends.
- I say “thank you” a lot…
Things are much different. I feel like a new man.
I’ve put all the dreary, dark and depressing posts from this blog into a category called ‘old stuff‘ for posterity’s sake, but really there is not a lot there worth seeing.
As I am trying to practice what I preach I will only be posting stuff on this blog that makes me feel good and, hopefully, does not hurt anyone.
Thank you for stopping by.